Count Greenfield's Shane Covington among the many Wisconsin high school football coaches who would have preferred that the lightning stay away last week.

His team trailed Hudson, 41-27, on Aug. 18 but was on the move, reaching the Hudson 10-yard line with eight minutes left in the third quarter, poised to trim its deficit in half with plenty of time remaining.

Except that time unexpectedly ran out at that point when the game was suspended by lightning and was not resumed, leaving the Hustlin' Hawks still down by two touchdowns and the game in limbo.

"I was hoping they (the officials) would at least let us score before they called it," Covington joked. "Actually, we both wanted to play it out, because of the geographic concerns of getting together again."

Greenfield Athletic Director Trent Lower said the game could be picked up again at some point later this season but there are no definite plans set.

"If the opportunity presents itself to finish the game later in the season, that may be explored," Lower said.

The contest was tied at 27-27 at halftime, but Hudson scored on its opening possession of the second half, then converted a Greenfield fumble into another score to go up 41-27.

The Hawks' earlier scores came on a 2-yard run by Ezekiel Banks, a 10-yard pass from quarterback Rayvon Bartlett Jr. to Jared Davis, a 40-yard run by Bartlett and a 20-yard pass from Bartlett to Elijah Rosario, which tied the game at 27-27 with about one minute left in the first half.

"Our offense looked good," Covington said, adding that Bartlett passed for more than 200 yards in the partial game, and Donnie Reasby collected more than 100 yards in receptions. "Defensively, we struggled with the option, which a lot of teams do. We needed to do a better job of defending it."

Greenfield will be back in action at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 25, at home against Pius XI, which dropped its opener to Brookfield East, 55-0, last week. Although the Popes are in the Woodland Conference, it will be a nonconference game.